Friday, March 18, 2011

Rocky Road To Dublin - The Dubliners




Happy Saint Patrick's Day every one!!!!

And to celebrate this important moment to English speaker's countries I offer you the music we listened in class. There is no aparent relation with Saint Patrick's Day, but it is a clasical Irish folk music and represents well the life in Ireland. I'm also attaching some photos my wife and I took during a Saint Patrick's day Parade. It's really nice event around there. I hope you like....













 
This is my son and me.

Dubliners – Rocky Road to Dublin[1]
While in the merry month of May from me home I started, Left the girls of Tuam so sad and broken hearted, Saluted father dear, kissed me darling mother, Drank a pint of beer, me grief and tears to smother,
Then off to reap the corn, leave where I as born, Cut a stout black thorn to banish ghosts and goblins; Bought a pair of brogues rattling o'er the bogs And fright'ning all the dogs on the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five, Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !

In Mullingar that night I rested limbs so weary, Started by daylight next morning blithe and early, Took a drop of pure to keep me heart from sinking; Thats a Paddy's cure whenever he's on drinking. See the lassies smile, laughing all the while. At me curious style, 'twould set your heart a bubbling. Asked me was I hired, wages I required, I was almost tired of the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five, Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !

In Dublin next arrived, I thought it such a pity To be soon deprived a view of that fine city. So then I took a stroll, all among the quality; Me bundle it was stole, all in a neat locality. Something crossed me mind, when I looked behind, No bundle could I find upon me stick a wobbling. Enquiring for the rogue, they said me Connaught brogue
Wasn't much in vogue on the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five, Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !


From there I got away, me spirits never falling, Landed on the quay, just as the ship was sailing. The Captain at me roared, said that no room had he; When I jumped aboard, a cabin found for Paddy. Down among the pigs, played some hearty rigs,
Danced some hearty jigs, the water round me bubbling; When off Holyhead I wished meself was dead, Or better for instead on the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five, Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !

Well the boys of Liverpool, when we safely landed, Called me self a fool, I could no longer stand it. Blood began to boil, temper I was losing; Poor old Erin's Isle they began abusing. "Hurrah me soul" says I, me Shillelagh I let fly. Some Galway boys were nigh and saw I was a hobble in, With a load "hurray !" joined in the affray. We quitely cleared the way for the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five,
Hunt the Hare and turn her down
the rocky road and all the way to Dublin,
Whack follol de rah !



[1] http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/d/dubliners6611/therockyroadtodublin249318.html
Glossary -
Merry - Full Of joy
Grief - Deep/Intense sorrow
Smother - Stifle or suffocate
Reap - Cut
Stout - Strong and thick
Thorn - Spine/Prickle
Banish - to condemn to exile
Brogues - Strong shoes
Rattling - Short and sharp sounds
O'er - Over
Bogs - Wet ground
Hare - Lebre
Whack - Hit with sound
Mullingar - Irish county
Limbs - Parts of body
Weary - Exhausted
Blithe - Joyful
Lassies - Young Girls
Twould - It would
Bubbling - Spherical body of gas contained in a liquid
Stroll - A walk
Bundle - Several objects
Neat - Clean
Wobbling -
To incline to one side and to the other alternately
Rogue - Tramp/Dishonest
Quay - Dock/Pier
Roared - Laugh Loudy/Sound made by mouth
Hearty - Genuine/Cordial
Jigs - Group of boys
Shillelagh - Irish cudgel
Hobble - Walk lamely (Manco)
Affray - Noisy quarrel


That's all guys.
See you in Class.
All the best.
Leo

3 comments:

  1. This is a great song! I have liked it very much! Nice pics too; How long have you been there teacher? Could you realy speak like these guys? lol I'm waiting for the next song. This one was very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elberth,
    To be honest with you, I think its really difficult to understand Irish accent yet. Imagine to speak like them. I can held with some expressions and phrases, but to get in to a pub and strike up a conversation without saying some "sorries" or "whats" I guess its almost impossible. heheh Of course, until you get the way the person speaks. After this first barrier everything get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard this song in the movie Sherlock Holmes. I loved it, it's good to know a different culture from ours.

    ReplyDelete