Sunday, March 27, 2011

LOL




The latest update of the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), published on 24 March 2011, revises more than 1.900 entries an adds new words. The funny part is that OED adds some abbreviations too, and now we can search in dictionary what means OMG (Oh my God), LOL (Laughing out loud), FYI (For your Imformation), IMHO (In my humble opinion), TMI (To much Imformation) and BFF (Best Friends Forever).

According to the OED this abbreviations are associated with the language of electronic communications, e.g. email, texting blogs , and so on.

And I just have one question, Why WTF wasn't add too ?

xoxo
Elisa

1 comment:

  1. Great news Elisa!!! Welcome to our blog!!!

    Good to know the English dictionary is modernizing itself.
    About the WTF, I think our language still an aristocratic field. We've teaching children to act politely and unnatural. Almost all adults say bad-words on every phrase, they deny their kids to do the same. For majority of them saying bad-words looks like the lost of purity of growing up.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) I agree with that majority of time, but I cannot deny to my son so bad words exist and where we say them.

    ReplyDelete